Sunday, June 29, 2008

Northern Midwest Clouds

I don't think it has been any surprise, but for those who were not watching the news, there has been some crazy weather around her for the last three weeks. Heck, our first weekend in the house (June 7 and 8) we slept in the basement Saturday and Sunday night. There had been severe thunderstorms, one after the other, and with them came tornado watches, and then a tornado warning or two.

The first night was not too bad. But Sunday night, it was pretty bad, storm rolled right over the house. It was one of those, flash-bang, no delay kinda storms. Pretty loud. It was cool, except for when you have kids and a two story house. Interesting how and additional 10 feet of height makes a storm feel that much more dangerous. The storm on Sunday night reminded me of when I was in Nashville back in early February. If you recall, there was a ave of tornadoes that rolled through the south. It was the deadliest stretch of tornadoes in 20 years. I remember how the wind would act, it would be calm, and then it would blow 30-40 without any build up. I saw the tree outside our front door bend in the wind. I turned and looked at Amy and told her it reminded me of Nashville and that we should grab the kids.

So anyway, we had another stretch of weather here this weekend. Not nearly as bad, much more manageable. Although, we did get some hail, almost dime sized at times. Kinda makes us cringe when we are not parking the cars in the garage yet. On Friday, we went out to dinner withe boys and as we were walking back to the car, I decided to take a picture of the clouds off in the distance. They were Northwest of where we were, no threat to us, although they only looked like simple rain clouds. I thought it looked cool. It was taken with my cell phone, so it is not the best quality. Notice the bright, gorgeous sun to the left and just above us, yet it looks like it was dumping a god amount of rain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad says welcome to tornado alley and you better have good insurance! I'm just glad you have a basement.

How did the boys react? Did they think it was cool or were they frightened?

♥ Becky ♥ said...

Ok, so tell me this.....will it still be like this when I am out there?? And if that answer is yes....is my room gonna be in the basement?? :-)
It reminds me of when I first went to visit Aunt Net & Uncle Rick the summer I was pregnant with Beth. Tornado warning 45 min after I got there. CA girl was FREAKING out!!!
Glad that you all are safe though. Great picture.!!!!